Monday, August 29, 2011

What kind of letter would you like to receive?

I want to start writing and sending out a lot of handwritten notes, cards and letters, but I have a minor and a bit silly dilemma. It seems I have this reputation for having nice handwriting, and I feel that those who know me almost expect to see correspondence from me written in a nice script. But this gets tough, let me explain.

I've been learning Zanerian's Engrosser's Script for some time now. It is done with a oblique holder and a dip nib. It is a very slow process and would take a very long time to write a lengthy letter this way. Also since I'm concentrating on forming letters I lose track of the composition of my letter. This is lettering (more like drawing letters) and not my handwriting. But learning this craft has influenced my handwriting, and given time it can be pretty decent regardless of what my writing instrument is. But again it takes a bit of concentration trying to write nicely.

But what I would like to do is write without worrying about how my letter or note look aesthetically and focus more on what I want to say. In my opinion any handwritten note or letter looks nice regardless of the sender's handwriting or what kind of writing instrument they use. I still prefer to use a fountain pen and good stationary.

I'm taking a poll, what kind of note or letter would you like to receive?

Nice fancy script?



Or not so fancy but still cursive but with meaning?



Thank you!




2 comments:

  1. This is an easy question - not so fancy with meaning. Letters are for sharing - fancy script is for invitations or maybe holiday cards.

    ReplyDelete