Friday, June 8, 2012

Pilot Grance and Iroshizuku yu-yake

Wow another letter and another post, I must be on vacation! But why do I only have the energy and motivation to get creative on the last days of my vacation?

Anyway here is today's arsenal.



Oh let me explain the bloody Mary. My friend John from Pilot Pens always reply to my posts on Facebook (after I get back from my 30 mile bicycle rides) that I should enjoy my mornings with a bloody Mary and a fine cigar. Well I don't smoke and I'm not about to start, I have enough health issues I've been handed via my DNA. I also don't drink except for a very rare glass of Riesling at a nice dinner out or a very small cup of fine sake. But the bloody Mary intrigued me, so John gave me recommendations for the recipe.  I've been enjoying virgin bloody Maries (Marys?) for a few days now. It does go nicely with letter writing, right along with coffee and some nice Hawaiian ki ho`alu music. Listen to my friend Ozzie, you'll know what I mean. But that's another story.

Anyway I thought I'd use a Pilot Grance that John gave me. I've had an all Sterling Namiki version for many years, but it's been sitting in my pen case in lieu of using fatter pens. But this this red Grance sorta looked like the color of a bloody Mary so...







I filled it with Namiki Iroshizuku Yu-yake. I thought of buying a bottle of a red Iroshizuku, but I'd probably never use it again. And the Yu-yake does look a little like tomato juice...sorta.



I wrote on a page of parchment paper from a pad. Don't always have to use fancy stationery though that certainly makes for a nice letter. I always start my letter with "Dear"... kind of the hopeless romantic in me!




The Yu-yake is a pretty nice match for the orange-ish parchment paper.

No auto correct. I need to get nice hard cover dictionaries and a thesaurus that will also enhance the top of my writing desk.



The problem with this pad was being able to tear the page away cleanly.


And it was hard to turn a "N" into an "A". There was a time when I would trash the whole letter and start over if I make a mistake. No more! Those mistakes in my opinion, add to the charm of a handwritten letter.

Since there is no matching envelope for the pad of paper, I used an envelope from a Korean Stationery store here in Honolulu.


I knew they would come in handy some day.

Always try to finish with a wax seal.



This one turned out less than perfect.

I'm hoping I can write a few more letters during the remainder of my vacation. Also I need to get some rest and get into a routine so I'm not too tired or busy to be "creative" when I'm not on vacation, that's the hard part for me!

I hope you all enjoy this letter and post. And John...



This one's for you!


7 comments:

  1. I really like the wax seals you are using. Could you recommend wax that will survive the handling of the mail sorter? Mine rarely survived the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get mailable wax. There are several brands, types and sources. I'm using Herbin mailable wax that I bought from Flax Art in San Francisco many years ago. Goulet Pens has Herbin under supple wax. There are waxes also available in sticks that you use a glue gun to apply. I have a set of those but have not used any yet. Let me know if you have any more questions.

      Delete
  2. beautiful pen and ink. I really like Yu-Yake, too. Thanks for a great post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. that is a beautiful pen, and a wonderful review. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. beautiful pen and wonderful review. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to write more letters. You've convinced me. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to start writing more letters. You've convinced me. Great post.

    ReplyDelete